Name your top 10 most played bands on iTunes:
(this is according to last.fm, so it's not really accurate, but it amuses me to think so)
2 Michael Jackson
3 Janet Jackson
5 James Brown
6 George Michael
7 Stevie Wonder
8 Terence Trent D'Arby
9 Public Enemy
10 P.M. Dawn
Man, I love that list.
Now answer the questions according to the numbers:
1. What was the first song you ever heard by 6?
Probably "Careless Whisper", if you don't count the Wham stuff. The first that really got my attention was Faith or I Want Your Sex.
2. What is your favorite album of 2?
Mmm, either Dangerous or Off The Wall
3. What is your favorite lyric that 5 has sung?
"When we did wrong, Papa beat the hell out of us" or "I don't know karate, but I know ca-ra-zy"
4. How many times have you seen 4 live?
Twice. In two days! Among my favorite concerts ever, at the ballpark at Coney Island, complete with fireworks.
5. What is your favorite song by 7?
Tough to say... probably "As".
6. What is a good memory you have involving the music of 10?
Hmm, one of my favorite memories is that it was one of the first times an Internet person made my day. One of my favorite remix singles was stolen, after the disc was already out of print, and someone on a newsgroup I was hanging out on sent me a replacement for free, just because they were nice. Yay internets!
7. Is there a song of 3 that makes you sad?
Um, any of her pre-Jam and Lewis work? Haw haw. She has a song about her dad oppressing her, that's probably as close as it gets. Also any song where she does her little fake laugh in the closing fade.
8. What is your favorite lyric that 2 has sung?
I fear Mr. Jackson is not known for his lyrics. I mistakenly thought he sang "I'm not a nigger because you know me" in a song, which I thought was fairly avant of him, but I was just mishearing the words.
9. How did you get into 3?
I'd always been a casual fan, "Love Would Never Do" caught my eye after her Rhythm Nation was one of the first albums I ever bought, and then going to a few shows on the Janet tour made me fixated on the sheer spectacle/production and raw calculation of her career.
10. What was the first song you heard by 1?
Tough to say... it was probably either Little Red Corvette or 1999, but it may have been Controversy.
11. What is your favorite song by 4?
Changes all the time... I end up singing "It's Not Up To You" most often, but I probably listen to the "Who Is It" remixes most often.
12. How many times have you seen 9 live?
Never! Every time I was supposed to, some mishap happened. Now I don't want to see them anymore.
13. What is a good memory you have involving 2?
The first time I saw the Japanese Pepsi commercial where Michael does a duet with his younger self on the song "I'll Be There", I was reminded what a talent he still had. Same with the first time I heard "Butterflies".
14. Is there a song of 8 that makes you sad?
Yeah, but I can't remember the name of it. One of his mid-90s albums has a very nice ballad.
15. What is your favorite album of 5?
Hell! For the artwork alone.
16. What is your favorite lyric that 3 has sung?
Janet's lyrics are laughably bad... I think anytime she's singing about sex in a way that makes a blowjob seem creepy, Janet's in her prime.
17. What is your favorite song of 1?
Depends on my mood, but "Adore" is usually way up there, or "Still Would Stand All Time".
18. What is your favorite song of 10?
"I'd Die Without You" or something like that.
19. How many times have you seen 8 live?
Once. It was fun, but also a little laughable.
20. What is your favorite album of 1?
Sign O the Times
21. What is a great memory you have considering 9?
I remember going to the Jersey shore with my friend Dan and his mom asked what kind of music I listened to, so I gave her my tape with two songs from "Fear of a Black Planet" on it and she said, "I guess I'm finally old."
22. What was the first song you heard by 8?
23. What is your favorite cover by 2?
He covered the Beatles' "Come Together". Christ, it's awfully good.